Renovation project to light up Loop Head visitor attraction
The historic lighthouse keeper’s cottages at Loop Head are set to undergo renovation works as part of an overall project plan for the sustainable development of the popular West Clare visitor attraction.
The renovation works to the cottages, which are in existence since circa 1850, will involve the conservation works to the semi-detached building at Loop Head to include the repair of the existing roof and sash windows and making safe the electrical works internally. Custy Construction has been contracted by Clare County Council to carry out the works.
Loop Head Lighthouse is steeped in history and is rich in maritime heritage, with its origins dating back to the 1670s. Located at the mouth of Shannon Estuary, the existing tower style lighthouse was constructed in 1854 and was operated and maintained by a keeper who lived within the lighthouse compound. In January 1991, the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation, and today is monitored by the Commissioner of Irish Lights.